Pages

Friday, July 26, 2013

Great training day


At least a couple times a week I am trying to train in the place other than the training facility or near my home. One of our favorite training places is the school yard.  Depending on the day and time it can be either totally empty that provides us with a lot of quiet training space or it can be buzzing with kids running, screaming, playing soccer, football and tennis, not to mention all the dogs that walk by!
So this Wednesday I loaded the dogs in the car and headed there.  I love training all three dogs at the same time, because it allows me to rotate between dogs, that accomplishes two things: dogs don't get overworked and they get jealous watching you work with another dog while they are tied up to the tree. Jealous dog is an awesome to work dog:-)
Belle was first to go. We worked on all the open exercises. She is such a blast to train! I took some videos of her jumping, but unfortunately my daughter forgot my camera at the camp so I cannot upload anything. Belle took to jumping as if she was born to do just that. All those endless repetitions of the broad jump that I had to do with her mother and Moz.. nope, not here. Just a couple of times and she was flying over the jump!

Moz is pretty good on his retrieves over high jump and on the flat, although I am not quite happy with his speed, I don't think he is challenged enough and hence he doesn't think he has to commit 100% of his attention to that. The BJ is the worst. I know for the fact that he can jump double that distance with ease, but he is not really interested. I tried and experiment. I took the white field bumper and would  throw it as Moz starts on his jump, that really caused him to fly over the jump with such an ease! Oh the constant question of want vs must. After some thinking I had decided that I will worry about his speed, after he gets it through his head that he has to jump just because I said so. When he is jumping reliably I will try to use the bumper to build some speed into the jump.
Heeling still needs a lot of work. need to figure out how to put the end to the constant bumping of me on heeling. DJ is coming along. Love watching him jump when he is committed!

Brandy had an awesome attitude as well. We worked on signals and heeling whenever I saw somebody walking their dogs by. Never can have too many dogs walking by, as long as they are on leash:-) Unfortunately the go outs are still a problem. As soon as I put the gloves out there her go outs start going right into the corner. This is so infuriating! But this deserves the post of it's own.

At  some point I did have a bit of a scare. As I was working Brandy bunch of kids came out of the school about 30 of them. all at once, running and screaming and heading right towards the tree where Belle and Moz were tied up. Moz as expected freaked out a bit and Belle is never shy to bark just for the hell of it. I had to run there yelling the kids and the dogs. Dogs - "down, stay" . Kids - stay away form the dogs:-) I need to work more on stays with both of the youngsters as they broke that  down-stay way too many times as the kids were going by.  I guess I do have my work cut out for me.:-)



No comments:

Post a Comment