Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Seve-e-e-n, Puppies Seven. One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, count them there are Seve-e-en...

Brandy's temperature dropped Wednesday night so I had decided to work from home today to keep an eye on Brandy. My friend Sam came over last night to make sure that she doesn't miss any action:-) All night Brandy was digging in her whelping box, then came and sat almost on top of my had shaking. I was trying to sleep, feeling guilty that I did that to her. Finally she managed to curl up on the floor next to me and relax a bit. All morning went without any changes, Brandy was laying between me and Sam on the sofa, while I was working and Sam was doing her homework.
At noon we ate lunch then went to take Mozart for a walk and take some pictures in the pretty pile of leaves. Brandy decided to go into the whelping box and I closed the boards so that she cannot get out. Twenty minutes later we came back and found that Brandy had escaped from the whelping box ( the wall was about two feet high!), there is vomit on the floor, vomit on the sofa - she managed to get it right between the cushions, shredded notebook on the floor together with two laptops that she knocked off the sofa. Brandy heard us walked in and was coming down the stairs. Wondering what could have she done up there in such a short time I ran into our bedroom and found the big puddle in the middle of our bed! She had decided that the best place for her waters to break would be our bed!
I put her back into the whelping box and started cleaning up the mess so we could at least sit down. As I sat down and picked up my laptop to have some work done, I noticed that her tail was doing something weird, I had decided that I'd better to check on her and saw that the first puppy is on her way out! Looking through the graying sack I was wondering whatever is in it that looks like a warm when I had realized that its a tail and that the puppy was coming out breached.
I spoke with Youlia not long ago and she had just left her house so that meant that she has 2-3 hours before she can get here. Totally freaked out I helped Brandy to get the puppy out, tear the sack, clean the nose, rub the puppy, cut the cord. It's alive!! I was so happy that the puppy was moving that I even forgot to check if its a girl or a boy.:-) The pink girl ( Rosie) was born at 1:50 pm. Almost immediately Brandy started pushing. 1.5 hours later she is still pushing but nothing coming out, but because she didn't seem to be in any distress I finally managed to relax and that's when the second puppy came. The second girl (Sunny) was born at 3:25pm. Kids came back from school right before Sunny was born, they were given the task of naming the puppies:-)Sam was taking pictures and keeping records, so far everything was going well.
Just after I had finished with Sunny, Brandy made a push and another girl arrived. Bell, the smallest of all was born at 3:35pm.
Just after Bell was born Youlia walked in and declared that now we need some boys, just as by magic a first boy T-Rex ( Youlia decided to take part in naming the puppies:-) ) arrived at 3:55. At 4:30 another boy Brownie was born and then the last boy came running. Blue boy (Bologna) was born at 4:56. The sack got torn as he was coming out and before the placenta even had a chance to come out he was running in search for the nipple. The rest of the sack got stack inside and I didn't have enough cord to cut, I had to tackle him so he didn't have a chance to tear his umbilical cord off, while he was moving all four legs with all his might trying to get some food.
After that Brandy was relaxed and puppies were eating and we were sure that we are done. hour and a half later we said, that we are done and I took my laptop so I could order pizza for everyone for dinner. As I opened it, still sitting in the whelping box, I had noticed contraction ripped over Brandy's tummy _ " Oh no!, we are not done yet" tossing laptop to the side I got ready to catch what ever was coming out. The last girl Lilly was born at 6:18 pm.
Now we are done!
All night I was waking up almost every hour, looking into the whelping box and counting the puppies to make sure that no one is missing. one, two, three, four, five, six,
Seven, we have seven...
This song that I remember from the time Anya was a baby was spinning in my head after each count. But I only remembered just few first words until Alex found it for me on youtube!
here it is:

No comments:

Post a Comment